"This post may contain affiliate links or sponsored content. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising." See my Disclosure Policy for more info.
**This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
In much of the country the warm weather is just starting to hit, and everyone is gearing up for summer fun, here in Florida we have been sweltering away already. But it is never to soon to take take care of your hair, before your summer fun starts. Precautions to protect your hair from the sun should be a good practice to go along with your need for sunscreen. The chemicals in pools play havok on your beautiful locks, and the sun can dry your hair out leaving you with a frizzy mess on your head. Check out this list of 10 way to help your hair stay looking healthy.
1. Wet hair. It’s simple and effective. Before taking a dip in the pool, drench hair in fresh water. Like a sponge, your strands will soak up water, preventing chlorine and chemicals from penetrating cuticles.
2. Lock in moisture. Before you take a swim, work in a hair oil; it seals hair from chlorine and the drying effects of the sun. Plus, oil provides a bit of weight to prevent flyaways and frizzing.
3. Wear a cap. We’re confident you can pull off this look. If you take frequent dips, you’ll want to embrace a hair cap’s retro charm. The additional barrier does wonders on keeping chlorine out.
4. Rinse off immediately. After pool-time, prevent chemical build-up (and green hair) with a quick rinse. Brownie points if you use a clarifying shampoo followed by an extra-emollient conditioner to bring hair back to its original shine and bounce.
5. Deep condition. A shea-butter-rich treatment is your best anti-frizz secret. You know what they say about an ounce of prevention. It keeps hair more manageable and less tangled even in salty-windy beach conditions.
6. Use an SPF. Most of us dutifully slather sunblock all over our face and body, but we often forget our hair and scalp. Don’t make that newbie blunder. UV rays not only fade hair color, they also dry out hair, cause split ends, and weaken hair’s elasticity. Spritz on a liquid SPF (or DIY by combining 2 teaspoons of SPF lotion with one cup of water). For additional protection, summerize products with UV-fortified formulas. Psst: Madison Reed’s shampoo and conditioner come with UV-shielding lupine flower.
7. Keep hats on. A floppy brim is not just the it-accessory of the season, it offers protection against the color-fading effects of sun.
8. Skip the blow dryer. For natural curls and waves, just go with it. Work with, not against curls; straight styles that require flat irons and blow-drying will fry ends, deplete moisture, and end up giving you more pouf than sleekness.
9. Pull it back. Your best line of defense against the pouf is often a sleek bun or topknot.
10. Don’t touch your hair. Except for occasional flirty hair flips, excessive handling of your hair only causes frizz.
Post courtesy of Cheryl Locke for Madison Reed.
Madison Reed offers salon quality, handcrafted hair color delivered to your door on your schedule! Clear instructions, all the extras you may need and fabulous results really set Madison Reed apart from other home hair color options!New customers save 20% and get free shipping, too, at Madison Reed through May 31, 2014 – just use the coupon code NEWYOU at checkout.
How exciting right?? Why not click one of those share buttons below and let your friends know 🙂
Share your deals with the other Frugal Fans.
If you have liked what you saw today, Please Consider Signing up for our Daily Newsletter. Keep up to Date on all the Hot Deals. Sign Up Now