"This post may contain affiliate links or sponsored content. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising." See my Disclosure Policy for more info.
We had this the other night and it came out fantastic!! I even left out the salt using the wine to keep it low on the sodium and just added it as needed for taste when serving those who can have salt.
It was very hearty filling meal and I had no complaints out of anyone, it was a nice different meal for us and it just proves to me more and more that we need to start using the crock pot more often cause that was super nice just deciding when it was time to eat and serving instead of having any real prep time right there at dinner time.
The recipe says it serves 8 but as a family of 4 with my hubby a 17 yr old boy and a 9 yr old boy and myself, there was no leftovers and everyone was satisfied. I needed to basically buy everything so I can’t account for that this will be a cheap meal, but honestly besides the little over $9 that I paid for the stew meat the rest wasn’t to bad price wise.
Let me know how it comes out for you 🙂
- 2 lbs top round steak or lean stew beef, in 1 inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 carrots in ½ inch slices
- 2 onions, sliced
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup beef broth or dry red wine
- 8 sliced mushrooms
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cups Bisquick
- ¼ teaspoon dried sage, crumbled
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Combine the beef, celery, carrots, onions, tomatoes, thyme, pepper, mustard, mushrooms, and wine or beef broth.
- If you are using wine, use all the salt.
- If you are using beef broth you might not need it depending on the saltiness of the broth so taste it to see.
- Cover and cook on a low heat for 8 to 10 hours or a high heat for 4 or 5 hours.
- The vegetables and beef will become tender.
- Combine the flour and water and stir this slowly into the beef stew.
- Combine the Bisquick, thyme, sage and rosemary and stir in the milk until the mixture is just moistened.
- Drop spoonfuls of the dough on to the hot beef stew, then cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the herb dumplings comes out clean.
How exciting right?? Why not click one of those share buttons below and let your friends know 🙂
Also be sure to go Like Us On Facebook and Follow Along in the Chat Group.
Share your deals with the other Frugal Fans.
If you have liked what you saw today, Please Consider Signing up for our Daily Newsletter. Keep up to Date on all the Hot Deals. Sign Up Now